Monday, June 11, 2012

Asked to speak in Church on Fathers Day

Today I got a call from my singles ward Bishop, asking me to speak about fathers this Sunday for fathers day. I texted him back, declining. This was the first time in my life declining to speak in church. There are many reasons why I declined:

1. I don't feel comfortable speaking about my father. I love my dad, but yet I don't get along well with him, so there's not really much to say and if there was it would be a lie.

2. I am not much of a public speaker, I get kinda nervous speaking from a pulpit to a hundred people

3. As a gay Mormon why would I want to speak on an aspect of eternal marriage pertaining to the husbands perspective.

Don't get me wrong I am a gay semi active Mormon. I go to at least one hour of church a week, if I didn't live at my parents I probaly wouldn't go every week. I love the gospel, I just don't feel comfortable in church alot. I am grateful for my Bishop, he has been really supportive and helpful for me, I remember telling him I don't feel comfortable attending all three hours and he replied back: "if you don't feel comfortable cause of your situation then don't go three hours, he did tell me that I should go for sacrament tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment