Saturday, August 4, 2012

Love and Human Rights

      This week was a bit painful seeing as a gay human being, especially in such a conservative religious area.  I saw alot of hateful and homophobic comments on facebook from people who I thought were supportive of me.  The issue regarding Chic-Fil-A speaking out against gay rights was an annoyance.  Seeing both sides of the issue on facebook was pure annoyance in general.  I am not a big fan of politics, but when it comes to my rights as a gay being I feel like I should have equal rights as heterosexuals.
        In High School I didn't think much of dating girls and all, but I also didn't think too much of my orientation.  One thing that I believed was and still is that any human being should have the right to marry whatever sex they please.  Love is a universal thing,  love is a gift for everyone.  Therefore, If you truly love someone and want to be with them forever why not be granted that gift.  Is homosexual marriage going to affect heterosexuals?  I know I am on a ranting right now, but why is it that most lds, conservative, and hateful people hate on us when we are the ones that just want to be allowed the same right as heteros.
         As for the Chic-Fil-A comment and stance on Gay Marriage, I feel it is wrong to come out and rip on the gays and lesbians and Trans.  You don't see Walmart coming out and speaking hate against humans.  I understand people have opinions and especially in a Commercialized Setting, you shouldn't state your opinion to the world and speak evil.  What also got me frustrated was the fact that many people went to Chic-Fil-A on the 1st, to me it was like a big "F*** You Gays",  seeing people rip the LGBT's apart on social media networks got to me and I decided to post a status on my facebook.  Later that day my mom told me she was disappointed in me for posting that.  It got my disappointed in her as well.  What I realize too is people don't understand what we go through.
         Recent news with me, this week I came out to 2 additional people who I look up to.  One is my right-winged Uncle who has clearly stated he opposes homosexual marriages.  He has asked me numerous of times if I am gay and I have just been quiet.  This week I went swimming with some of my closest supportive friends, All of one of them didn't know I was gay.  While we were chilling in the pool we had a discussion about gays in the church and it was a good biased convo.  On my way home from swimming I texted my friend who didn't know and told him I am in fact gay.  His reaction was supportive.
         I know I have supportive friends, some of which support human rights (gay marriage and etc.).  I also have friends and family which love me, but in general don't feel good about me being gay.  It is hard telling people I am Gay and can't help it, but I surely did not choose to be this way.  I am glad to be a gay individual in the Mormon church and have learned alot about my self.  I sometimes wish my close friends and family who don't get where I'm coming from could walk a mile in my shoes as a gay person.  I find it hard being gay, but also amazing because I have been blessed with many new friends who love and support me.   I have been blessed of being a part of a LGBT & Straight Allied Mormon Group here in the Phoenix metro area.  I also have friends who support me and want me to be blessed as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment